Sunday, February 24, 2008

Another Great Recipe.

I truely love Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes....but they come from a box and are a processed food. I have always wanted to find a good recipe to make my own version of Au Gratin Potatoes but they never really turned out the way I'd like, they were good, but just not Betty Crocker.

I found this recipe in the Taste of Home: Homestyle Classics mini cookbook that I had used prior with the 7 Layer Gelatin Salad. These Potatoes turned out wonderful and tasted very much to me as a homemade version of the boxed potatoes!

Ingredients:

3 T butter, 3 T all-purpose flour, 1.5 t salt, 1/8 t pepper, 2 cups milk, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium) and 1/2 cup chopped onion


In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thinckened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion; stir well.

Transfer to a greased 2 qt. baking dish. Cover and Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Uncover; banke 30-40 minutes longer or until the potatoes are tender.

The only things I added was more cheese, we love cheese at our house I would say I used a little less than 2 cups. I made sure I sprinked cheese on the top before placing in the oven. Picture from Idaho Potato:

No comments: